Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving in Granada

As it is Thanksgiving (at least back home), I’ve been thinking about what I’m thankful for today.  While I’m enjoying Nicaragua, I’m thankful that I’ll be going home soon.  I miss my friends and family, and I’m a bit sad I’m missing spending the holiday with them.

Dr. Seitz demonstrates proper prep techniques before surgery


I’m also thankful for our wonderful host here in Granada.  Dr. Sarah Seitz has done a wonderful job of making us feel at home here, providing us with meals and opportunities to see the city and surrounding area.


Dr. Seitz been with World Vets now since January and is heading the establishment of the new veterinarian teaching hospital here in Granada.  Despite the complications of coordinating the construction of the facility, stocking it with the necessary supplies and equipment, putting together the training programs for vets from both the U.S. and Central America and performing regular services to the pets and animals in the city, Dr. Seitz still managed to find time to take care of us here for the Technical Animal Rescue course this week.  I’m not sure when or how she has time to sleep, but I’m thankful that the program here is in such obviously capable hands. 

Despite his name, Killer is really just a big pussycat -
probably even more so now that he’s been neutered
I’m thankful that the three surgeries that she led at the new clinic went well today.  The dogs brought in this morning to be sterilized were all healthy and happy as they were returned their respective homes.

And finally, I'm thankful that I'll be missing Black Friday.  As disappointed as I am that I'm missing a turkey dinner today, I have zero desire to deal with that crazy mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment