Monday, January 13, 2014

The End of the Dàolù

Rachael Trost reporting

As this experience abroad has come to an end, I cannot express my gratitude for each moment here and every person I met along with road (that's Dàolù in Chinese if you were wondering about the title of this post).
The entrance to the center early on a foggy morning. 

If you are ever traveling to this specific region of southwest China, here are a few tips you should really pay attention to before you depart. Just some things I wish I had known before I left.

  1. In the winter months, pack LOTS of layers to keep you warm and dry. Especially pajamas, I learned this lesson the hard way. 
  2. When packing such clothes, make sure you have full outfit options in separate bags in case the airlines loose or delay your luggage. If it could happen to me, it could happen to you. 
  3. It's normal for no one to understand what you are asking for. This can be really fun though as you discover new ways to address your wants. Hand signals are your friend :) 
  4. Be prepared to walk. The best way to see the small cities and explore surrounding areas is on foot. 
  5. A few necessary packing items include...
    1. filtered water bottle (all the water they will serve you is boiling hot, a filtered bottle will allow you to sip on cooler water from the tap).
    2. Nutrition bars or granola bars, whichever you prefer. Meals are served 3 times a day, but that can be a long time to wait if you are hungry. 
    3. Slippers, seriously bring slippers. The buildings have no central heating and high humidity, leaving the floors a bit damp and pretty cold. 
    4. A passport, money, and id holder. I bought mine on Amazon for $10. Buy one that hangs around your neck for easy access to important documents while traveling along with safety for your bills while exploring the towns. 
    5. Camera, extra batteries, and extra batteries. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to realize out in the field your camera is almost dead. 
  6. A smile and simple "hello" go a long way. Even if that's all you can say in the native tongue, it will open up others to you. (Hello in Chinese is Ni hao in case you were wondering). 
  7. Don't be alarmed when you hop in a taxi and the driver enters the incoming lane of traffic. It's normal for them to honk madly and swerve from one side of the road to another. 
  8. Push the limits. A sign says staff only? If you are a volunteer, you are staff right? Take the path untraveled and live a little. 
  9. Enjoy, simply that. 


The lovely group of volunteers I spent the week with. From left to right..
Anon and Johanna from Germany, Dan from Australia, Fillipa from Sweden,
myself, and Frederick from Australia. 

There is no experience more special than hand feeding one of the most endangered animals on the planet. The center gave me an extremely unique opportunity to see the inter-workings of caring for these animals. I will miss the odd noises Yi Bao and Xin Hui would make as we carried their panda cakes to them, to watching the panda kindergarteners antagonize one another on their swing set, the memories are enough to last a lifetime. 




As I say goodbye to China, I say farewell to this blog as well. I cannot thank the Murrow College, the professors, and all the donors who made this trip possible for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment