Saturday, March 16, 2013

Serendipity in Sri Lanka

A candid moment shooting a volunteer meeting
I end this blog the same way I started, with a list of figures.

Seventeen bug bites, 12 time zones and one parasite later, I am back in Washington state, alive, well, and very nostalgic. 

It may simply be my body attempting to get back on Pacific time, but I feel like my experience in Sri Lanka was just a dream. The people I met, the places I visited and the cultures I was immersed in have changed my life. My time in Sri Lanka was a priceless memory, and one that I will never forget. 



As a way to conclude my blog, I want to provide a list of my fondest memories from my trip. These memories can also be applied as helpful tips for anyone planning to travel to Sri Lanka:

The gecko who found a home in my pillow
1. Waking up to a gecko on your pillow is actually quite common.
2. White rice and curry are appropriate for breakfast…lunch…and dinner…everyday.
3. If you ask a Tuk Tuk driver if you can drive, they will let you, whether you are qualified or not qualified, like myself.
4. Do not drink the water…ever…ever.
5. Taking photos and video will provide lasting mementos of your trip, but taking a moment to breathe in your surroundings can be an even more meaningful memory.  




My last enrichment with Pooja

Taking a step back and figuring the detail I will miss the most about this country was actually quite easy for me. I will miss my sweet elephant, Pooja.
Although I was not the fondest of this creature at first, with the lovely presents she would leave me in her bed each morning, (if you have been reading you will know what I am referring to), I grew to love Pooja. 
I will miss the way her trunk stroked my hand as I bathed her in the river. I will miss the way her eyes lit up when she saw a piece of cucumber in my hand. But most of all, I will miss her gentle demeanor, so calming for a jet lagged student journalist, thousands of miles away from home. 

The book cover of Three Princes
Now I should address why I decided to entitle my blog Serendipity in Sri Lanka. The first noted use of the word "serendipity" in the English language was by Horace Walpole in the 18th century. Walpole created the word from the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip. This tale follows the story of three heroes who were always making discoveries by accident, curiosity and intuition. As an eager journalist looking for story after story in Sri Lanka, I thought it was an aptly title. Serendip is also the ancient Persian name for Sri Lanka.


And so, I bid Sri Lanka, and this blog, a goodbye. Or as Sri Lankans would say, Samoo-ghana. I thank everyone who helped me experience serendipity in Sri Lanka.
My last day in Sri Lanka, taking in every moment